Monday, November 12, 2012

LINCOLN


SPIELBERG IS BACK! I was blown away by this movie for so many reasons! I will begin with the delicious performance by DANIEL DAY LEWIS. You will swear you are seeing the real Lincoln as he moves about, as he thinks, as he speaks the immortalized words of this historical giant!

SALLY FIELDS plays his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, with depth and character as she holds on to her points of view in a time when women had no voice. TOMMY LEE JONES well! He is perfect in his role as Thaddeus Stevens who opposes  Lincoln then backs him up.

The cinematography is rich with atmosphere, it made me feel uncomfortable for the characters who had to live in these muddy humid times. It is a long movie that focuses on the time when Lincoln added the thirteenth amendment to the constitution of the United States after a very painful civil war between the North and South. So much of the language is legal jargon but it is very clear and did not distract from my enjoyment of the movie. I will look at it again soon!
I believe Daniel Day Lewis will win another Oscar!

-Lena Ghio

The trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment